Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bleach project! Plus new old shoes.

This is a dress I used to love, but have grown tired of recently. 



Isn't it sad how you can love a piece of clothing so much at one point, but eventually end up hating it? The love fades suddenly and it sits, lonely, in the back of your closet next to the sweater Grandma knitted you 5 years ago. Even though you never wear it, it stays there as a sort of reminder of the good times you had together. *sigh* Just like an ex-boyfriend...

Anyway, there's now hope for you and your neglected clothes!! It's called bleach.Yeah, crazy hardcore, right?

I could not believe this when I saw it, but it's true. It works. And it's a fun way to change an old piece of clothing into something you love again! What can I say, I believe in second chances.

I followed all her techniques: I started by mixing about 20 cups of hot water with 2 cups of bleach and added the dress. I stirred the dress around in the sink about every 5-10 minutes to make sure it was getting an even coat, and I left in to soak for about 20 minutes. You can watch yours and just take it out when you like the color! I rinsed it out and soaked it in cold water with salt in it for 10 minutes ( I don't know why... that's just part of the instructions!). Then I washed it like normal (all alone, just in case there's residual bleach). 






My next step is transforming it into a flowy shirt. That'll be for another post, though!

In other news, I thrifted these beauts this weekend at a local thrift store. They are very 80s-esque 3-inch heels and I love them! 
PS- please excuse my veiny feet and also the fact that I am wearing yoga pants with heels. It's been a busy day. (But, aren't those rocks pretty??)

Are you going to try bleaching one of your old pieces of clothing?? Tell me about it!

2 comments:

  1. COOOOOOOOOL! i love the new cola! : ) also...i accidentally bleached part of my favorite t-shirt the other while cleaning...it is so fashionable now! BAHA jk...but seriously i wanna try this, it looks fun! : )
    ps. love your bangs! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. try this out on your shirt and send me a pic!

    ReplyDelete