Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Birthday to ME!

I'm 21 today! I can't believe it. I still feel 16... who am I kidding I feel 12!

Well, to honor today, I have a tutorial for you all! It's my very first one, I made it up all by myself. Impressed? You should be! Just kidding, it is super easy and lots of fun!

This tutorial is for a bubble skirt. I love bubble skirts! They are fun, flirty and perfect for hot summer weather. I reconstructed a long skirt to make mine, but you can make your own from scratch as well.

Step 1: Find an ugly long skirt at a thrift store.



I like this pattern but boy does it look hideous on me as is. Don't worry, there is potential in everything! This skirt is actually perfect to transform into a bubble skirt because it has pleating in the front and is gathered at the waist in the back. This translates to nice and flowy!

Step 2: Sew an old slip on the inside of the skirt, right against the hem of the waistband.



You don't have to use a slip, you can use any old skirt, or even sew a simple round tube that fits around your waist. It's not going to show so the color and pattern doesn't even matter.

Step 3: Cut the slip so it hits about mid-thigh. Yeah, it's short, but your bubble skirt will be much longer, don't worry!



Step 4: Cut your skirt however short you want it. To measure that, put the skirt on and fold it up till it hits where you want it to fall. Measure how much extra fabric you need to cut off (The edge of the skirt will be sewn to the bottom of the slip, creating a "bubble." Just trim off enough of the skirt so that it hits where you want, but still has enough length to create the bubble).

Step 5: Turn the skirt inside out and tack the skirt to the slip. Start with one in the front, one on each side, and one in the back. Then tack in between each of those points. Then tack between each point again. Then do it again and again and again till basically there are no more open hole between the skirt and the slip. Or, close enough to no holes. :) Tacking is a little tricky because there is more skirt fabric than slip fabric, but that's ok, that's what makes the skirt bubble! It'll look a little messy, but it all turns out sweet.



Step 6: You're finished! Wear it around and be hot stuff this summer. Bubble skirts look awesome with tights, too, so it's perfect year-round.

Thanks to my little bro for taking these pics! They are on our roof. It was kinda scary the wind was blowing so hard and the sun was really bright. But I like the look, and the view was awesome.




 This is what summer makes me feel like.

4 comments:

  1. AHH!!! I LOVE IT!!! SOOOO CUTE!!!! and I am loving the red lipstick in you pics! You are lookin hot hot hot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! that skirt turned out soooo great! i am definately impressed....make one for me! : ) oh...wait, it is YOUR birthday. baha..um make one for me on mine birthday then! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday my favorite niece! I have a challenge for you... I need a costume for our show June 25th. They are doing a skit about Laugh-In so we are supposed to have a 1960-70 costume reflecting that TV show. Let me know if you are interested...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! that sounds fun. I'll talk to you about it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete