Friday, May 20, 2011

Nail polish

This past year or so, I've been really good about painting my nails. And by good, I mean I take off my nail polish when it starts getting chipped, instead of leaving it on to just grow out or eventually flake off. I also repaint them promptly. Maybe this isn't so healthy for my nails, but... heck, they look cute!

Here's something I've been doing a lot during my nail polish revolution. I paint my ring finger a different color from the rest of them. It's sort of a color block idea, but for your nails. (Color blocking is totally IN right now) :) I got the idea from Rihanna.

Photo Cred: Google images
Thanks girrrrl! hah.

A lot of people ask me why I do this. My answer is: because it looks awesome. I don't have a reason... well, that is, until I read this post, on a wonderful blog called Moorea-Seal.

Although I love to paint my nails for the beauty and fashion aspect, painting them to remind you of your weekly goals seems like a grand idea to me. Fashion, which in my opinion includes nail polish, can be such a strong statement of what you believe, who you are and how you are feeling. Yeah, sure, you can throw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt that you don't think twice about. But, you can also put on your favorite pair of skinny jeans that make you feel beautiful, and a bright yellow shirt to show your inner happiness.



This summer, I'm trying to make all my outfits say something. Nothing profound, if only to say "I am confident. I am beautiful. I am fun-loving." These are three things that I want people to know about me, but more importantly, these are three things I want to believe for myself. Everyday I can be reminded of these ideas and hopefully by the end of the summer, along with a new wardrobe, I will have increased love and belief in myself and my capabilities.

Whew. That is what you call a tangent! Back to nail polish. I like nail polish. A lot. And I'm going to adopt Moorea's idea and every time I paint my nails, have a goal in mind and work on it the whole time my nails are painted.

What do you do as a reminder of your goals? What are some fun nail polish techniques or designs you like to do? Please do share!

2 comments:

  1. GO AMANDA!!!!! : ) : ) : ) : ) : ) : ) : ) : )
    uuuuuum to answer your question...i like to paint my thumbyyy and pointy fingy one color and the others another! : ) i also sometimes do my thumb one color, my pointer and BIRDY another, and the last two another! hahaha...anyway i have no reason for this...i just stole the idea from my art teacher!
    alsoooooo, i like the goal thing! i should definatley try that out! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha BIRDY! hahaha. i forgot about that, I'm gonna try it next!

    ReplyDelete