Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dress to Blouse Reconstruction

This is one of the dresses I found while shopping at a local thrift store. I loved the fabric, but not so much the shape or the giant pocket on one side.


I gave it a little trim! Following advice from another fashion blogger, I used a shirt that I already had and liked the fit of, then cut around it, as sort of a make-shift pattern. If you do this, make sure to leave a little bit around the edges for the seam allowance.
  (like my toenail polish??)



After that, I just sewed it up and finished off the seams with a simple turned in edge. It only took about thirty minutes to do the whole project. I've been needing new shirts, this will be perfect! And the pocket is still there, just not as huge and weird... perfect for carrying my everyday essential: vanilla mint chapstick. (I'm seriously addicted to that stuff)




Also, I used the extra fabric from the bottom to make something else just as great. You'll have to come back for that, though!

4 comments:

  1. manda!! i love this idea!! you are just so crafty and cute!!! and the shirt turned out awesome!!! if you ever feel the desire to make your best friend heather something......i wouldn't mind.haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to do one for you! I will keep my eye out for something you would like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanilla mint!!!! :) very cute shirt, I may need to borrow the idea!

    ReplyDelete